The Greenville Treaty is signed, permitting U.S. settlement of the Western Reserve located east of the Cuyahoga River. August 3, 1795.
On September, 1, 1795, The Connecticut Land Company offers for sale a 17,247 acre tract of land now known as Bazetta Township.
In the winter of 1804/1805 Edward Schofield, originally from Connecticut, and John Budd became the first settlers in Bazetta, having moved there from Hubbard. Schofield built his log cabin at what is now the corner of Hillman and High streets in Cortland.
John Hulse, son of Henry K. Hulse, was the first white child born in the township.
Edward Schofield and Jeremiah Brooks built a gristmill in “Courtland.” along Walnut Creek. It was the second frame structure built in the town, a milk house being the first.
Most of the Native American population had left the area by this time.
The first school in Bazetta was built on Walnut Run and administered by Charlotte Bell. Many area settlers were called upon to defend their country in the War of 1812.
Samuel Bacon came to Bazetta Twp. where his family operated a sawmill (and/or the gristmill?) from 1816 to 1850. As Bacon built some of the first frame store buildings in the community, the Cortland area was called Baconsburg.
The Baptist Church in Warren granted permission to form a congregation and church in Bazetta.
January 22nd, Formation of the Baptist Church congregation in Baconsburg.
Construction of the Presbyterian Church.
Arriving from County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, Nathaniel Lowry is said to have left his wife and child in Conneaut and walked from there to Bazetta, Trumbull Co., Ohio where he selected land on which to build a cabin. He purchased Lot 29 and built a home for his family that eventually included 7 children.
The Bazetta Christian Church was founded by Calvin Smith, a veteran of the War of 1812.
Christian – Disciples Cemetery established behind the Christian (Disciples) Church
Cortland Christian Church was constructed to replace their first building constructed in 1837. The land was donated by Samuel and Enos Bacon.
This 1856 map of Trumbull County included the village of Leroy now know as Cortland. The population of Bazetta in 1856 was 1302.
James McCleery is interred in the Christian Church Cemetery in Cortland. He was born in Mecca Township, December 2, 1837. Was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh during the Civil War, and lost his right arm. Died in New York, N.Y. on November 5, 1871 during his term as the U.S. Representative from Louisiana 4th District.
The village of Cortland became a reality when the railroad built a depot there.
The Village of Cortland's first Mayor is W. C. Kennedy, Served 1875-1876. H. Robinson is the first Marshal of the Village of Cortland and serves until 1878.
Henry Scoville is elected Mayor and serves until 5/1/77. H. Robinson replaces Scoville and serves until the end of the year.
D. P. Camp is elected Mayor and serves one year.
H. Robinson is elected Mayor and serves for 2 years.
Thomas Willock is elected Mayor and serves for 4 years through 1884.
The population of Cortland village is 614 people. There are three churches, two newspapers, stores, and mills.
H. D. Colcomb is elected Mayor and serves until 1892. The Cortland Fire Department is formed in 1885.
The Village of Cortland purchased a 418 pound bronze town bell for $ 128.60, on May 22nd from Burnes & Lynn.
October, 1888 - Cicero Case a shoemaker and farmer born in Hartford Co., Conn. died in Cortland at age 79 and is buried in the Disciples of Christ Cemetery, Cortland, Trumbull Co., OH. His wife Nancy (Hungerford) was also laid to rest there after her death in 1904.
J. L. Christy is elected Mayor and serves for one year.
Wells F. Horton is elected Mayor and serves through 1895.
Wells D. Holcomb is elected Mayor and serves for 2 years. An ordinance is passed against Ice and Snow on Sidewalks.
Nelson Cowdry is elected Mayor and serves through 1903.
Lewis C. Hutton is elected mayor and serves through 1914. He is again elected in 1918 and serves for 8 additional years until 1925. 'Lew" Hutton is a Civil War veteran born in Chester county, Pa. August 8, 1845. He enlisted at the outbreak of the Civil War and served to the end of the conflict. He married Ella Post of Cortland after moving to Cortland after the War.
H. H. Roe is elected mayor and serves until Jan 31,1916 at which point he resigns.
L. H. Blair serves as mayor the remaining term through 1917.
Establishment of the Trumbull Co. branch of the Ohio Agricultural and Development Center, located at the site of the present fairgrounds.
The foundation for the barn currently standing at our (Don Brobst Jr) farm was poured on September 1, 1915. In the spring of 1916 a tornado blew the barn over before anything could be stored there. Tin from the roof was found beyond Johnston station (Since this was the only thing hit in the area they knew where the tin came from). Enough tin was salvaged for the west side of the new roof and the good lumber went back into the new barn and a full shed section was added to the front.
Wayne F. Ainsley was Mayor of the Village of Cortland in 1926-27, 1931-37, and 1942-43.
Plans were drawn up to dam the Mosquito Creek under the Federal Flood Control Act, to alleviate floods on the Mahoning, Beaver and Ohio rivers, and also supply water for the city of Warren. Congress had voted to spend $4,385,000 for the project.
Mack D. Cook is elected Mayor 1938 - 1941
On November 19Death of Emanuel E Rice who operated an early gas station in cortland (Dad Rices station) "He was my grandfather. In the 30's one of my biggest excitements was punching punchcards there." Patricia A (Rice) Schaller
The Army Corps of Engineers moved 400 graves from the old Bazetta Cemetery on Rt. 305 to the West Bazetta Cemetery. The old cemetery site was soon under the waters of Mosquito Lake.
Completion of the Mosquito Reservoir and Dam that holds 34 billion gallons of water over 7,850 acres of land.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers enters into an agreement with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to jointly manage the recreation on the Mosquito Lake.
William A. Harned was elected Mayor and served for 11 years through 1963.
Village Council members are Kenneth Payne, Willard Smalley, Nelson Richards, Robert C. Daugherty and Arthur Hargate Jr., William Bradbury is President of Council. Paul C. Bowers is Village Clerk and Sherman Corfman is Treasurer.
Bazetta and Cortland consolidated their schools to form the Lakeview Local School District.
John Kocka, Harold Shilling and Owne Grove are elected to Village Council and Beryl Robinson is President of Council.
Dan Galbincea, owner of the Causeway Sport Shop in Mecca, invented the legendary fishing lure, the "Erie Dearie.” As he loved to go fishing his wife Helen would say, “Fine go to your Lake Erie, "Dearie," and that is how they came up with the name.
Lakeview High School was built.
Donald M. Jones was Mayor of the Village of Cortland from 1964 through 1974.
Severe storm damage to Village on July 4, 1969. Cost $2,000
Well #4 completed
Lakeview Middle School was built.
William J. Roush was Mayor of the Village of Council 1978 - 1987
April 19, 1981 - The Village of Cortland Officials were notified that the 1980 Federal Census Count was 5,011 making it of city status. The Board of Public Affairs dissolved and a Civil Service System was created on September 21, 1981.
Well #6 is dug
Inventor and fishing boat captain Dan Galbincea was inducted into the Ohio Sportsmen's Hall of Fame for his "inventing, pioneering and marketing skills."
Cortland's first radio station--WLND- started broadcasting. Owned and operated by Glen Barker and Nancy Hoffman.
Sandra J. Roscoe is Mayor 1988 - June 12, 1992, the City's first female Mayor. She deceased while in office.
Robert E. Moyers elected Mayor June 17,1992 - 1993
Dennis E. Linville becomes Mayor 1994 - 1999
Melissa Long elected Mayor 2000 - 2003
The population of Bazetta Twp. is 6,306, about twice what it was in 1960.
Curt Moll becomes Mayor 2004 - 2015 (12 years)
Mayor Moll was one of the longest serving Mayors in the City of Cortland joining Lewis Hutton who also served 12 years in office.
City of Cortland Clock is dedicated on September 7, 2007 at Point Park
The population of Cortland City is 7,104
Jim Woofter elected Mayor 2016 - 2019
Lakeview Schools consolidated closing Bazetta Elementary in Bazetta Township and building a new PK - 8 building in the City. The new school was built at the location of the old middle school which was demolished.
Veterans Memorial at Point Park was dedicated Novemeber 17, 2018
Deidre Petrosky elected Mayor becoming the City's second female Mayor.